Police reports, Feb. 25

Drug suspect tries to report car stolen while posing as his brother

A 25-year-old who fled from police Wednesday but left his car behind was arrested Feb. 21 when he tried to report the vehicle stolen while posing as his brother.

Shomarr Garrett of 54 Palisade Ave., came to police headquarters Thursday with his girlfriend to report his 2000 Chevrolet Impala stolen. He identified himself to police as his twin brother, to whom the car was registered.

The encounter didn’t go as he planned.

A day before, Officers Carlos Vazquez and Matthew Goncalves had spotted an apparent drug transaction in a gas station parking lot on Reservoir Avenue. When they pulled up, the suspect took off running, leading Vazquez, Goncalves and Officers Jorge Larregui and John Topolski on a foot chase. He escaped.

When police searched his abandoned car, they recovered a cigar tube that contained 39 packets of what appeared to be cocaine, marijuana, an iPhone and items that identified the car owner as Jamarr Garrett.

A day later, a person who identified himself as Jamarr Garrett attempted to report the car stolen over the phone. Some time later, “Jamarr” came to police headquarters. At that point, Vazquez, Goncalves, Larregui and Topolski were alerted, came to the front desk and identified him as the suspect they chased.

After questioning, the suspect acknowledged that his real name was Shomarr Garrett and that it was him who police chased. He said the car belonged to him, but was registered to his twin brother. He also showed the officers marks on his thigh where he had been shocked by a taser during the chase.

He apparently knew the risk of coming to police headquarters. He brought $2,315 with him as possible bail money and his girlfriend stopped at the bank and withdrew $360 before coming to the police department to use for bail in case he got arrested.

Garrett faces a variety of charges, including interfering with police, drug violations, driving under suspension, second-degree forgery and criminal impersonation.


Man charged with box cutter threat over cigarettes 

A 49-year-old man was arrested after he threatened a couple over a pack of cigarettes.

Officer Ean Smith was called to Brooks Street early Feb. 22 and was told that a man named Earl Hicks of Hamden had entered their home, demanded a pack of cigarettes and threatened both with a knife when the woman reached for a phone to call police.

The wife stated they had known Hicks for about 20 years.

Hicks left the scene and police found him a short time later at Main Street and Wheeler Avenue and detained him. They recovered a box cutter and charged Hicks with second-degree threatening and criminal trespass.


Man arrested with a loaded gun

A 29-year-old man faces charges after police found him with a loaded .22-caliber pistol in his waistband. The discovery happened shortly before midnight Feb. 21 during a traffic stop.

Officers Trevor Niestemski and Michael Novia pulled over the car at Wilmot Avenue. Police checked out the driver and discovered he was on parole for narcotics. For officer safety, both occupants were patted down and Novia discovered the weapon tucked in the waistband of the passenger, identified as Ervin “Swerve” Ezekiel of Steuben Street.

Ezekiel was charged with criminal possession of a firearm, altering the serial number on a firearm, carrying a pistol without a permit and criminal violation of a protective order, which forbids him from possessing a weapon.

He was held on $100,000 bond. The driver was given a motor vehicle ticket and released.


Man in trouble for theft, break-in and threatening

A 20-year-old faces a variety of charges after he stole a bottle of wine from a bar, broke into a nearby apartment, threatened ambulance workers and then tried to escape from police.

It all happened Feb. 23 over the course of several hours. Officer Michael Salemme initially was called to a downtown bar at 5:45 p.m., where a bartender said a man, whom she would not serve, came behind the bar, grabbed a $20 bottle of wine and ran off.

Police had responded to that report when, about an hour later, Officers Martin Pizighelli, Carlos Vazquez and Donald Bensey were called to the 600 block of Fairfield Avenue for a burglary-in-progress in an apartment building. Police spoke to the resident, who said he arrived home to find a man with facial piercings prone in his kitchen, a window smashed and blood on the floor. The resident grabbed the man and threw him into the hallway. Police were called. The description of the suspect, who fled the scene, matched that of the wine thief.

Not long after police arrived, the suspect, later identified as Dylan Vitti, had returned and was found on the fire escape of the Fairfield Avenue building. He was identified by the resident as the intruder and subsequently identified by an employee at the bar as the thief.

While en route to the hospital for treatment for cuts to his leg and knuckles, which he apparently suffered while breaking into the apartment, Vitti made threats to the medics. At the hospital, he provided a variety of different names to police and medical staff. And after he was treated, Vitti tried to escape, but only made it a few steps before an officer caught him.

Vitti was charged with sixth-degree larceny, second-degree burglary, second-degree threatening, interfering with police and criminal attempt at escape from custody.

Vitti is believed to be homeless. His last known address was on Saber Lane in Stony Brook, N.Y.


Employee assaulted at gentleman’s club

A woman was assaulted with a beer bottle Saturday at a strip club.

Officers Ashley Taylor and Jose Paz were sent to Pleasant Moments Café at 1 William St., on a report of an assault on Feb. 23, at 1 a.m. Police found the victim, an 18-year-old employee, bleeding from the head and being tended to by other dancers in a dressing room.

According to the victim, she brought a customer into a room for a private lap dance and when she finished he would not allow her leave, made sexual advances and began choking her.

She managed to escape and ran out of the room. Before they fled, however, a second male, who was with the assailant, threw a beer bottle at her that struck the victim on the head. She was treated at the hospital for her injuries. No arrests have been made.


Burglary investigated at business

Police are investigating a break-in at a Huntington Turnpike business.

Officers Michael Davila and Juan Esquilin were sent to the Dollar Tree store Saturday morning on a report of an attempted break-in. An employee there reported that someone had unsuccessfully tried to break into the store’s cash office by cutting through a wall from an adjacent, vacant storefront.

While the officers investigated, the officers observed a hole in the sheet-metal roof inside the vacant space and a hole in the wall leading to a different business, Harbor Freight Tools, at 345 Huntington Turnpike.

Officers spoke to the store manager, who had just arrived at the business, and discovered the wall had been breached to an office and that a safe containing three days worth of receipts had been cut open with some type of power tool.

Detectives are investigating.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. The Bridgeport News, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress